Do you think you should improve the notes you take in class? Do you know the Cornell method of taking notes? In fact, the notes you make about the class are a key factor in achieving excellent grades.
THE ORIGIN OF THE CORNELL METHOD
This method was first applied in 1949 by Walter Pauk, who is a Cornell University Professor and Doctor of Psychology. This professor researched for a long time the way students took their notes. In this way, know which methods worked and which did not.
After gathering all that information and studying the methods recommended by other pedagogues, he decided to create his own technique. Which I call the “Cornell method”, which was intended for students to be able to synthesize the relevant points of each class .
HOW THE CORNELL METHOD WORKS
The Cornell method is considered one of the best for organizing and taking notes. However, to achieve excellent results it must be carried out following these guidelines.
BLADE DIVISION INTO DIFFERENT AREAS
First of all, you need to divide a horizontal sheet into 4 parts. A) Yes:
- Draw a strip across the top 2.5 cm called “Title”.
- Draw a line at the bottom of 5 cm called “Summary”.
- Then, in the central part of the sheet, draw a vertical line to divide it into two sections called “Class Notes” and “Key Ideas”.
HOW TO CREATE YOUR NOTES USING THE CORNELL METHOD
Before class begins, fill out the “Title” section where the name of the topic, subject and date should go . In the course of the class, information that you consider relevant will emerge, which should be noted in “Class Notes.” That is, all the data that I considered important to understand the subject to study.
After finishing the class, you must complete the “Key Ideas” section, writing the key words or phrases for the topic studied. Subsequently, complete the “Summary” box where you must summarize all the information from the class. Highlighting the most relevant points.
ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF THE CORNELL METHOD
The Cornell method of note-taking has its advantages and disadvantages like other methods. Being important that you know them before putting it into practice. Thus, you will have a more objective criterion about this technique.
Some of the advantages of applying the Cornell method is that you need to pay close attention to the class when taking notes . This will help you stay focused and better assimilate the information. In addition, you can list:
- When applying this method you must do a review at the end of the class to make the summary. This will allow you to clarify your ideas and consolidate your knowledge.
- You will have your notes and annotations in a structured and organized way.
- You will combine your main ideas, summaries, questions and notes in one document. Being a tool to study before a partial.
Like any method it has some disadvantages. Which you should know to have a clearer vision when using it. Such as:
- Sometimes you won’t be able to stay focused during class. Especially when you are exhausted and stressed – which will affect the quality of your annotations.
- It demands more time and work.
- In some subjects you will need several sheets to cover the whole class.
Finally, the Cornell method of taking notes has been considered one of the most effective. In other words, it is a recommended system to synthesize class information. In addition, it allows you to keep it active and focused so as not to miss any detail.…